Friday, July 25, 2008

Chapter Five

Are we disturbed yet? Just to be really honest, I have been growing increasingly disturbed over the last year or so and I am so glad to see that I am not the only one. I feel very uncomfortable with sitting in my own little pretty, safe world while others go through such horrific events. We have been on vacation this week and I have felt so uncomfortable with the idea of the frivolity when there is so much more to be done. But at the same time I am searching for the path that God has for me in all of this. I want to go there, I just don't know where there is. I guess we have to just keep seeking - " Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you. For everyone who keeps on asking receives; and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, [the door] will be opened. Or what man is there of you, if his son asks him for a loaf of bread, will hand him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will hand him a serpent? If you then, evil as you are, know how to give good and advantageous gifts to your children, how much more will your Father Who is in heaven [perfect as He is] give good and advantageous things to those who keep on asking Him!" Matthew 7:7-11

I agree with Kay - I am tired of changing the channel - I want to do something about it. I want to be the love of Christ to not only those that are hurting, but to those that hurt as well. Like I tell Kennedy all the time, How are "bad" people going to know how to be good if we don't tell them how to meet Jesus?

Do not let yourselves be overcome with evil, but overcome (master) evil with good. Romans 12:21
Chapeter Five Discussion
1. Click. Do you identify with Kay's desire to change the channel to avoid exposure to the evil in our world? With what emotions and thoughts did you struggle as you read this chapter?
2. Kay writes,"What could I do against such despicable evil? I was just an ordinary woman." Yet she did choose to personally engage in the battle. What moved her from her state of helplessness to her proactive response of becoming involved?
3. What weapons has God provided for our battle against evil? Choose one in which you find the most encouragement, and explain why.
4. Kay describes what God does not want us to do in the face of evil. Identify the undesireable response into which you are most prone to slip. What could strengthen your resolve to avoid that response?
5. How has this chapter made you uncomfortable or challenged your thinking? Select one uncomfortable thought from this chapter that you will use to engage in a meaningful conversation this week.

No comments: